Friday, April 02, 2004

Fluoride and Water:

"fluoride toxicity can occur when large amounts of fluoride are ingested during a short period of time. Children under age 6 account for more than 80% of reports of suspected overingestion. Although outcomes are generally not serious, several hundred children turn up in emergency rooms each year. Symptoms of fluoride toxicity may include nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, increased salivation, or increased thirst. Symptoms begin 30 minutes after ingestion and can last up to 24 hours. If you suspect your child may have eaten a substantial amount of a fluoridated product or supplement, call the poison control center or 911. Be sure to keep toothpaste, supplements, mouth rinses, and other fluoride-containing products out of children's reach or in a locked cabinet. You should also supervise your young child's toothbrushing sessions to make sure that he doesn't swallow toothpaste or other fluoridated products. "