Maine Voices: New study of the dental needs of Maine people will help a lot | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram
"You only have to go door-to-door once to hear a story you wish you hadn't. Horrific stories about actions taken by individuals to address the pain they suffer from oral disease. The numbers are staggering.
• More than 46 percent of MaineCare kids don't have access to oral health care.
• More than 20 percent of Maine third-graders have untreated cavities.
• Each of Maine's 16 counties has a federally designated oral health shortage area.
• Some estimates suggest nearly 250,000 Mainers, around one in five, don't have a dentist.
• Who suffers from lack of dental care? People in rural Maine, low-income people, seniors and veterans, and many others."
Maine Voices: New study of the dental needs of Maine people will help a lot | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram: